Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Guns

The subject of guns is big right now.

I'd like to have a gun. When I first moved into my house, I was here with my kid and someone came by at 2:30 in the morning and was pounding on the door and ringing my doorbell for a good fifteen minutes. My phone was in the kitchen and I couldn't get it to call the cops without being seen through the window of the front door. I would have gone to get the phone if I had a gun. I felt helpless in protecting my kid.

I've been robbed at gunpoint. I've had a gun pressed against my spine. I've been told to lay face down on the floor by a guy with a gun pressed to my back. It's no fun.

However, the thought of having a gun and having a six-year-old little girl running around the house is daunting. I know there are ways to make it safe, but it is still a worry.

I don't really have a house that lends itself to the reason I want a gun. I have a third acre in a 50-year-old suburb of Nashville.

But, the reason I want a gun is that guns are fun. If I had a bunch of land, I would like to have a gun to shoot beer cans off the fence. Target practice. Shooting a gun is fun. That's the main reason I want a gun. The problem is, there is no way I would shoot full beer cans off the fence. I would have to drink the beer first, before I started shooting. That's a bad recipe for responsible gun ownership.

I want beer and guns. I choose beer.

5 Comments:

At 10:50 PM , Blogger Newscoma said...

As one of my employees who drinks a lot and is 22 years old:
I Heart Beer.

Beer will always win.

 
At 12:16 AM , Blogger Lynnster said...

Ha! You are SUCH a man.

And RE your new pic - look at you rockin' the mullet, duuuude. Kip Winger and Mark Slaughter didn't have nothin' on the Knuck! Hehehe...

 
At 1:23 AM , Blogger chez bez said...

I raise this beer to you in pride. Good decision, indeed.

But who says they have to be beer cans awaiting their death on the fence post. Lots of off brand sodas out there are worthy of target practice, right?

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger Ginger said...

I'll drink to that.

*she says in her best Foster Brooks impression*

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger Busy Mom said...

A beer gun, perhaps?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home