Sunday, March 25, 2007

Famous Nashvillians

My dad is a native Nashvillian, born and raised all the way through Vanderbilt. While I have been coming here my whole life, I never lived here until the late 80s. Now I know who Ernest Tubb was and I once played golf with Faron Young, but I didn't grow up learning Nashville history.

Today, me and the kid went butterfly hunting at the Percy Preist Greenway. (She bagged three. Goooood eatin' I tell ya.) It occured to me that I have no idea who J. Percy Preist was or is, or why he was or is important enough to have a big dam named after him. The following is a list, off the top of my head, of people who are important in Middle Tennessee history, whose importance is nearly or completely unknown to me. (Some of these may not be people, for all I know.)

Demonbreun
Donelson
Madison
Henderson
Sillman or Evans
Edwin Warner
Percy Warner
Harding
Granny White
Murfree
Ryman
Tootsie
Belmont
Fisk
Dickerson
Nolen

9 Comments:

At 3:41 PM , Blogger Busy Mom said...

Trivia: I'm a Harding. More here

 
At 8:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the Nolen story. William Nolen and his family decided to settle in middle Tennessee when their wagons wheel broke. Their surroundings were so lovely (or perhaps they were so lazy) that they decided to settle right there. That became Nolensville. The tiny town holds a "Broken Wheel Festival" every year.

 
At 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone really cares...

Demonbreun.
Donelson.
Madison - I don't know who settled it but it was originally called Madison Station.
William Henderson, while not the first settler there, was one of the early settlers in Hendersonville.
No idea about Stillman or Evans.
Percy and Edwin Warner were brothers and were chairmen of the Nashville Park Board successively.
Granny White.
Murfree.
Thomas Ryman.
"Tootsie" Bess.
Belmont - Was originally Belle Monte(Italian for "beautiful mountain") was built as an estate for Adelicia Acklen.
Fisk.
Dickerson is an erroneous spelling. It is actually Dickerson and was originally named after Jacob Dickinson. He built a "Baptist Meeting House" on that road in the early 1800s.

 
At 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

*actually Dickinson. You know what I meant.

 
At 11:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca Donelson was the wife of Andrew Jackson....are you really that big of a dumbass

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Nashville Knucklehead said...

Actually, John Donelson was one of the founders of Fort Nashboro. His daughter married Andrew Jackson. Her name was Rachel.

Dumbass.

 
At 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well.....you actually passed the test.....and got one right.....knucklebutt

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger KellyKline said...

Mister Nashville really knows his stuff. Very cool. Y'know something that would be fun to do with your little girl is to take one of those cruises on the Cumberland - not the one on the General Jackson, but the other little tour boat. They tell a lot of the Nashville history on there AND it's a cool way to see the city.

 
At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silliman Evans was a person. I want to say he was a judge or something like that. I just know Silliman was his first name and Evans was the last name.

Rachel Donelson Jackson was married before Andrew and it caused quite the scandal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home