Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Attention Dads! Have a Song or Two

When my kid was really little, I would always sing "Can't take my eyes off of you" to her. Some of her first words were formed singing along with me,
"I love your BABY
and if it's quite alright
I need you BABY
To warm the lonely night . . ."

I forgot about it for a couple of years, but when I remembered, she still knew all the words.

I bought a CD called "Jazz for Kids" when she was two. We would listen to it in the car. The last song on it "Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Every time that song came on, I would reach back and we would hold hands. I didn't play it for over a year, but when I put it back in, and that song came on, we automatically held hands again. Now, when we are getting near the end of a drive, she asks to hear "Wonderful World," and we hold hands.

Someday, when she is sixteen and has dyed her hair black and has a tatoo and mulitple piercings and she hates me, she will hear one of those songs and realize that she really doesn't hate me after all.

So to all new dads: Have a song or two. Start early. Stick with it. You may need it later.

7 Comments:

At 2:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was named for a song my dad used to sing when he was a lounge singer in the Middle East and in Italy during his Army days: "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen." It's a good thing I rarely hear that song, because I'm reduced to a whimpering puddle whenever I do.

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger Lynnster said...

OK, that is so sweet and cute that I will forget about the sports talk radio transgressions.

Both my parents sang to me. Dad - too numerous to mention. Mom - usually "Summertime".

 
At 4:24 PM , Blogger chez bez said...

I sing songs all of the time to my kids. Most are poorly made up tunes but fun as heck anyway.

My oldest heard a lot of John Prine ("Daddy's Little Pumpkin") and Lyle Lovett ("If I Had a Boar") songs in his early years.

The current three year old went through a period where he would sing and dance along to James Brown's "Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)."

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger Ginger said...

My daddy used to sing "Candy Kisses" to me... one of my most treasured memories. :)

 
At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I continue to pull out two songs from my bag o' tricks: David Wilcox's "Heart-shaped Medallion" and James Taylor's "You Can Close Your Eyes."
My 4-year-old loves those songs and I have been singing them to her since birth.

"Sing the 'Close Your Eyes' song daddy."

Sigh . . .

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Plimco said...

Brown-eyed girl.

 
At 10:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fly by Night ....rush

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home