Monday, September 18, 2006

Classic Bachelor Dad Moment

Katie's got a debate going on over here about age-appropriate swimwear. My kid is five. She has always had bikinis, her mom buys them for her. After the first time she put one on and I reminded myself that she has no concept of sexuality, I got over the initial shock, and I don't think twice about that stuff.

Last week, she came to my house with a bag full of last year's clothes given to her by a friend. I was taking her to the Titan's game, and she said she wanted to go get dressed herself. (She usually insists that I "help" her, meaning that I go in with her so that she can reject all my suggestions.) Well, she came out dressed in a halter top with ties at the bottom and a mini skirt. She was showing belly. It was pretty weird for a minute, rather Jon-Benet-ish, but that's what she picked, so I let her wear it. After getting over the initial shock, which wasn't helped when she pulled the front of her skirt down to show me that she was wearing her "hoochie mama panties," I noticed that the clothes were very wrinkled.

I do own an iron. I think. But I am also a big fan of Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I spray it on wrinkled shirts after I put them on. I mentioned that to a bunch of women one time, and they looked at me like I was an alien. Hey, it works.

So we were going to Target before the game to get her some shoes for school anyway, and I bought a bottle of Wrinkle Releaser, and treated all the passers-by in the Brentwood Target parking lot to the sight of me making her stand still outside the carwith her arms out while I sprayed this five-year-old hoochie mama front and back, with her yelling, "stop it Daddy, you're getting it in my eyes!"

It worked.

4 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband's daughter (age 6) has shown up for weekends at our house dressed similarly. We drag her to Target too... for a new outfit. She usually pouts, because she likes dressing like her own (hoochie) mama, but she gets over it.

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Kat Coble said...

I have very strong opinions about Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

I love it.

I have to always have a bottle and a backup bottle on hand. Better living through chemistry, indeed.

 
At 7:06 PM , Blogger KellyKline said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with a little girl in a halter top. It's the great big girls who shouldn't be wearing them, but squeeze into them anyway that bother me.

And Downy Wrinkle Release is my friend! I looooove that stuff! I would go crazy without it and my Magic Erasers.

 
At 2:48 AM , Blogger Vol Abroad said...

What is this Downy Wrinkle Release? I think this might be something I need - it sounds like my kind of ironing.

Is the European Union trying to tie me to an ironing board/wrinkled wardrobe?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home