Saturday, June 03, 2006

Meteoronology



Meteorologists have a painfully obvious love affair with their technology, and when something new comes along, like Doppler Voodoo Raincast 5000, we all get to see it on our TVs. Most of it is useless, annoying and just gets in the way.

As in Channel 4's new Pinpoint Futurecast, or whatever the fuck they call it. I was watching the weather lady last night, and I said, "They accidentally put the computer menu up on the screen." There was a menu there that had buttons that said things like "Low" and "Cold Front" and that menu covered up half the map. Much to my surprise, it was there on purpose. The weather lady talked about an approaching front, reached over and clicked on the "Front" button and magically drew the front with her finger. I said, "That's not 'pinpoint' accuracy, that's 'fingerpoint' accuracy."

Hey Channel 4 weather folks. Not all your fancy new technology needs to be seen by us. Please take the computer menu off the screen. It is so distracting, I have no idea what the actual pinpoint futurecast was.

3 Comments:

At 12:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like the ol' forest/trees thing now, you can't see the weather for the weather

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger bridgett said...

I've resorted to the low-tech solution of looking out the window. It's as accurate as I need it to be and I don't have to wait for weather on the 8s.

 
At 8:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been convinced for years that the weather people and the grocery stores are in kahoots to convince us to run to the store to get "bread and milk" during the winter months.

Which always gets a chuckle out of me, because what people really stock up on is alcohol and cigarettes.

Priorities, people. PRIORITIES.

And most of these people, regardless of their technology, couldn't forecase yesterday's weather.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home