Saturday, March 11, 2006

Teri Hatcher, Charles Nelson Reilly and Me

My little diatribe against the Oscars wasn't meant to be taken that I don't appreciate the art of good acting. Teri Hatcher came out in Vanity Fair saying her Uncle sexually abused her growing up. That reminded me of a play we did called "How I Learned To Drive" by Paula Vogel. Our cast was great, and there was some very powerful acting in it.

At around the same time, Charles Nelson Reilly was preparing to do a show at our theater. Most people know him as the nutty game show guy, but in reality, he is one of the most highly respected acting coaches, directors, and Opera Experts on Earth. His best friends are people like Julie Harris, Ruby Dee, Ossie Davis (now dead) and Burt Reynolds. Anyway, I told him what play we had on at the time, and he summed it up thusly: (please use your best Charles Nelson Reilly voice)"Ooooohhhh, isn't the the Uncle-fucked-the-Neice play? Hhhhnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

My other favorite CNR quote about our very straight-acting gay friend. "But he's so butch! My God, he plays golf!"

1 Comments:

At 3:19 PM , Blogger Smerdyakov said...

I sat four tables away from CNR at Burt & Jacks in Ft Lauderdale. I bottled some of the air we both breathed that night and I'm planning on selling it on ebay upon his death.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home