Monday, March 06, 2006

I got your Oscar right here!

I don't watch award shows. I don't think art is competitive. I don't think those shows are any different than Firestone handing out an award for top district tire sales manager at their annual district manager meeting. The Grammys are bad. The CMAs are bad. The Oscars are the absolute worst.

I worked as Marketing Director for a live theatre for about six years. I have been around plenty of actors. They are a nice bunch, generally speaking. The people I met were mostly New York and local (Florida) live theatre rats. The Hollywood types are a whole different breed. As the money and fame builds, it seems that a lot of those people visibly go cookoo. Tom and Katie, I'm talking to you. But they have the power to have their yearly meeting televised and it grips the nation as everyone wonders who's going to win "best" screenplay or lighting director.

Having been around a lot of actors, sitting on on a lot of rehearsals and seeing more live theatre than I ever expected to in my life. I can respect that there is a certain amount of skill that goes along with pretending to be someone else. But those people know what they are getting away with. They're just pretending. That's why they go out of their way to talk about their "craft" and "practicing their art" and "reaching deep." It's 99% horseshit. They get on with James Lipton and clutch their chest and talk about how Harrison is so "giving" as an artist. Good gawd, he's just pretending to be a spy.

So, considering that I am obviously a cantankerous, bitter old coot, I don't have any interest in watching them backslap each other for four hours. I hope all you fans enjoyed it. I was busy reading Jack and the Beanstalk. And reading it again. And reading it again.

P.S. For all you actors out there -- I do not keep in touch with the folks at my old job. Don't send me a headshot or resume. Unless there is nudity. And you're female.

4 Comments:

At 2:37 PM , Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

I guess it is about the market more than the art. Once more another example of: "it is all for the money".

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger chez bez said...

Clooney made the obligatory, "acting is not about competition speech. I believed he meant it though.

I liked how he said, "unless we are all playing Batman, it's impossible to compare us and pick the 'best'."

And Philip Seymour Hoffman, winning at the Independent Spirit Arwards made the same type of comment, calling the whole thing "ludicrous."

All the while, their agents (and maybe they too) were ecstatic that their hiring price just went through the roof with these awards.

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger chez bez said...

And I hate it when I forget tot close quotes.

Carry on. ;-)

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Plimco said...

Your nude headshot is in the mail...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home