Thursday, February 09, 2006

Codes is Codes

For some reason, as I was walking to the men's locker room at the Green Hills Y yesterday, a fire sprinkler caught my eye. There was an unusual way the pipes were configured, nothing nefarious, just interesting. As I walked down the hall, I followed the pipes with my eyes and examined the system layout. This was in a hallway overlooking the big, indoor Olympic-sized swimming pool. I noticed something that, to me, is a bit unusual. There are, by my casual count, 15 sprinkler heads over the pool.

I suppose the good folks on the Y staff could get confused by all the various nozzles and valves associated with such a large swimming facility and accidentally fill the pool with gasoline or Jack Daniels. Then, while unwittingly swimming in that potential death-trap, a metal grommet on my board shorts could strike an exit ladder at the perfect angle to create a spark, thereby igniting entire pool, killing tens.

Potential crisis averted. Thank you YMCA. Thank you Metro Fire Codes.

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM , Blogger Busy Mom said...

I used to be a lifeguard there about 100 years ago. The Jack Daniels incident was precisely why I left.

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger Aunt B said...

"Killing tens."

It's the little details that just do me in.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home