Thursday, May 31, 2007

The End Is Near. Again.

I don't really buy into the global warming thing. That is just my decidedly uninformed opinion. Here's why. I've travelled a lot. I used to work on cruise ships, and I've been all over the world. To me, the global warming scare is kind of like the overpopulation scare, which comes from bookworms and professors in the Northeast, which is grossly overpopulated. If you are an overpopulation fear-monger in Boston, get out a little. Drive across Texas. I spent some time in China. They have a billion people. Beijing and Shanghai and Hong Kong are ridiculously overpopulated. But if you get out in the country, there are miles and miles of rolling hills, pastures and forests. We have plenty of room.

I once sailed from Tahiti to New Zealand. Days and days of nothing. Just flat Pacific Ocean water, going at 26 knots, 24 hours a day. That's just one tiny little corner of the globe. I've seen how big the world is, and I don't think that we have the ability to change it that much. When you spend years living on the ocean, it seems ridiculous that melting ice is going to flood our coastline.

Having said that, we were warned about getting out too much during that Tahiti-New Zealand run because that's where there is a big hole in the ozone, and one could easily get burned. All that damn hairspray in the '60s burned the ozone up. Or was it cow flatulence?

So I don't buy it, but I'm open minded about it. This is what I don't get: How the conservatives can turn it into a "liberal issue." It's science, right? I haven't really looked into it enough to make an informed opinion, so I can't say I'm right, and I accept that there may be something to it. To dismiss it outright as a liberal hoax is puzzling to me. Puzzling because if you're wrong, boy it's going to be a doozy.

Cue George Strait: "Oceanfront Property in Arizona"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home