Saturday, February 17, 2007

Thank Heaven For Little Girls

Back during the dark days a few years ago, with divorce looming and my sanity teetering over the edge, my friend Todd let me stay at his house when I really had nowhere else to go. His wife was finishing up a job in Chicago. It was old-man bachelor heaven. Beer, whiskey and golf.

Because my kid's mom had yet to move the two of them back to Nashville, I would get my little princess for a week or two at a stretch. If she's going to ride a thousand miles on a plane to see me, she's gonna stay for a while. The first time she was scheduled to come up after I moved in, Todd seemed a little nervous. As an only child, he hadn't ever been around little 'uns that much. I assured him that there is absolutely nothing to worry about as far as hanging out with a three-year-old little girl.

One of the first nights we were all together, my kid came storming out of the tub, naked as the day she was born, ran straight to Todd, who was minding his own business on the couch, jumped up on him, laid her head on his shoulder and stuck her thumb in her mouth.

Now, when you're not used to being around little ones, a naked three-year-old jumping into your arms can be a little disconcerting. He gave me a puzzled look that bordered on horror. I just shrugged and went back to what I was doing. I figured it was a good way for them to bond.

Since then, Todd, his wife Laurie, and my kid have become great friends. Well, today Todd and Laurie had a baby. And I admit that I was overjoyed to find out that it was a little girl. For purely selfish reason -- I love my little girl and I know they are in for a wonderful ride with their new baby.

Plus, I have a bunch of little girl clothes in the closet I have to get rid of.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Blogger Sarcastro said...

I'll drink a shot to the new addition to Todd and Laurie's family.

They's good people.

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Ryan said...

Sincere conrgrats to Todd and Laurie!

Please pass it along.

Best,
Ryan

 
At 5:51 AM , Blogger Lynnster said...

Aw, that's a great story!

Congratulations Todd & Laurie!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home