Monday, February 12, 2007

Perfectly Good Guitar

I am not a fan of the time honored Nashville tradition of "Writer's Night." I would rather watch Serbian soccer on a black and white TV than go sit in the Bluebird and get susshhhed because I dared to laugh at a joke in a bar during the second verse of some gal's new song about her granny.

So last night, unlike most of America, I missed the Grammys because I was at a writer's night. I was sitting at a table with three friends, 15 feet away from Lyle Lovett, watching and listening as he, John Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark took turns playing some of the most well-crafted songs you've ever heard, written by four of the most talented American songwriters working over the course of the past 30 years. And this all took place at the new Schermerhorn Symphony Hall.

I must admit that I am a bit underwhelmed with the exterior of the new Symphony Hall. But the Turner Concert Hall inside is unbelieveable. We Nashvillians have an incredible new world-class concert facility downtown. I really want to hear the Symphony in there. Until then, I have my memory of John Hiatt singing one of my favorites,

"It breaks my heart
to see those stars
smashing a perfectly good guitar ..."

4 Comments:

At 7:45 PM , Blogger chez bez said...

I bet the show was amazing. I love all four of those guys.

And even this quiet blogger has been shushed at the Bluebird. And never to return.

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger Sarcastro said...

See, I liked the exterior but was underwhelmed by the interior. It reminded me of some Vegas hotels. The concert hall itself was magnificent.

The show was unbelievably good.

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Ryan said...

I'm with you--the hall is outstanding.

Lyle and Guy are two of my favorites. I thought John Hiatt was fantastic. And Lyle was extraordinary--as expected. I was disappointed in Guy though and have to assume he is still on the mend. They simply don't come much better than him; but did you notice he messed up on 5 of the 6 songs he played? He still sounded wonderful, but...

Best,
Ryan

 
At 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a tour of the Schermerhorn this week, and it IS as amazing as advertised. I missed an opportunity to see an event there in December, but I won't be passing by my next opportunity. I am terribly sorry I missed the PR about the show you attended -- sounds incredible!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home