Thursday, October 12, 2006

REO Shitwagon

I sometimes have the misfortune to be in a situation where I have to listen to a CLASSIC ROCK radio station.

Is there anything more tired than a CALSSIC ROCK radio station? Look, I know I'm an old dude. These guys haven't changed their playlist in 30 years. It is the music I listened to on the radio when I was growing up. Listening to it doesn't make me nostaligic, it makes me want to kick in the radio. Why, why, why do you insist on continuing to play "Barracuda?" "Hotel California?" "Another Brick in the Wall?"

What's worse, is the DJs, with names like Wingnut and Voodoo Child talking to us in their hip-in-1979 radio voice. "Hey, coming up next, we got some Seger action with some of that "Old
Time Rock and Roll."

"Old Time Rock and Roll" is a thirty-year-old song that pines away about how the very music they insist on playing isn't nearly as good as forty-five year old music. Don't they realize that?

There was plenty of good music recorded in the 60s and 70s. "Night Moves" is not on that list. "Points all her own sticking way up high. Way up firm and high." Give me a break.

In closing, I am not trying to be the bitter, cantankerous old man here, but let me say one more thing. The Doors sucked.

6 Comments:

At 5:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you.

I too hate 'classic' and 'oldie' stations. I listened to all of it the first time around, and I choose NOT to wallow in the nostalgic music of my youth all my waking moments. But fully half the stations I tune into are that 'classic' shit, which is why I rarely listen to the radio.

Though I do have a soft spot for REO, as they were the house band at the Red Lion in Champaign when I went to school there, right before they hit the big time. Or maybe it's the dime beers and $1 pitchers at the Red Lion I have the soft spot for. Whatever.

And yes, the Doors sucked. They're only famous because JM offed himself. Touch me, babe, indeed. That's about as stupid a song as MacArthur Park.

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.

~ Peggasus

 
At 10:15 PM , Blogger Lynnster said...

I can't cosign on the Doors hating (sorry!) but I'm right there with you on "Night Moves" and anything by Bob Seger (tho especially that one).

I think I have always been a little afraid of my hatred for Seger being found out... growing up in small town West TN in the '70s & '80s, admitting something like that would get one looked at funny much as if you'd put sugar on your grits, or said you liked beef BBQ better than pork BBQ (of course there really IS no other BBQ than the latter)...

I don't mind the oldies stations so much - especially '80s ones - but I really wasn't much crazy about '70s music in the '70s, even tho I bought plenty of it at the time. Now I'm even less crazy about it now to the point of disdain for most of it.

But no one more than Seger - then now or ever. Hallelujah, free at last!

 
At 2:17 AM , Blogger Tim said...

Now I can't say I hate classic rock, but I'm with you on the radio stations. I'll listen to it when I WANT to listen to it, and whom I wish to listen to. Not how they dictate it. I can remember listening to Rock103 and them relentlessly playing the hell out of Floyd, Doors and Zeppelin. I too abhor the doors, and wish someone or something would shut them.....

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

Never liked The Doors, and because 104.5 (when it was still 'classic rock') played the everyliving shit out of Zeppelin, I will never like them either.

I will host a bonfire and invite the world if we can burn every copy of Barracuda and My Sharona. I'll even supply the PBR.

 
At 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good God yes, The Doors sucked. I say that to people in my town who are half my age and they look at me like I’m on crack. Philistines. I think I heard “Old Time Rock and Roll” at every high school dance I’ve ever attended. My car could break down in front a school gymnasium tomorrow and I bet I’d hear it before I made three steps inside.

The only reasons I can tolerate hearing Bob, Skynard, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Zepplin, etc on the Classic Rock stations is that stuff was old when I was young and hearing stuff like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden on the oldie stations is what makes ME feel old.

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger Exador said...

Not a big fan of the Doors. They are definitely overrated.
I also hate the Classic rock stations, more because they only play the three big hits off an album, that they've been hammering for 30 years. How about some of the B-side stuff?
Geesh, same 30 songs over and over and over again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home