Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I can't believe I never Knew this

I got suckered a couple of times when I was a kid into ordering some of those K-Tel super hit records. If you're old enough, you'll remember, they were "the original hits recorded by the original artists!" Then you'd get the record, and not only were the songs edited from three minutes to a minute and a half, they were not recorded by the original artists. I remember felling slightly ripped off the few times I bought one.

Well, I found out today that they were recorded by the original artists. As in, the studio band with the name, "The Original Artists."

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend who wanted to open a movie theater and call it "A Theater Near You."

6 Comments:

At 4:22 PM , Blogger Busy Mom said...

I'm going to open a bar and call it, "I Don't Care". You know, when you're trying to decide where to go and the other person alwyas answers, "I dunno, I don't care." Then, they'll always end up at my place.

Sorry you had to learn about the Original Artists this way.

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger ceeelcee said...

And our band used to be called, "Free Beer."

 
At 4:48 PM , Blogger saraclark said...

There is some dive in Hermitage called "Don't Know Lounge". It always makes me smile.

"Where were you all night?" Don't Know.

 
At 6:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being really disappointed after buying a K-Tel album and wondering why "Get Down Tonight" didn't sound the same as it did when KC did it on the radio!

 
At 7:04 AM , Blogger Newscoma said...

Those albums really pissed me off because, being the pop culture queen that I am, I scheduled a party in fourth grade where we going to sing and dance at a sleepover. The record came in, and I'll never for "Tonight's the Night" by Rod Stewart sounded like the singer has a deviated septum.
Of course Rod always sounded like he'd been drinking gravel coffee, but I digress.
I will say those were the days we make our own karaoke bar in my bedroom wearing Kiss Army shirts with those bastard records.
Just saying.

 
At 1:23 AM , Blogger mapgirl said...

My best friend and I saved our babysitting money and learned that K-Tel lesson the hard way.

There's always a bar called "The Library" in most every college town, so kids can honestly report to their parents they spent the evening in the library.

m.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home