Friday, June 23, 2006

Functioning Alcoholic


I can drink. A lot. I've always been able to. I'm one of those guys who can start at noon on a Saturday and be doing yard work or stuff around the house and drink 15 beers by the time the day is through. Or more. And I won't be falling down or slurring or anything. It's a blessing. No, wait, it's a curse. I don't know, it is what it is.

David Feherty, the razor-witted golf analyst for CBS, wrote about quitting drinking. He lost 50 lbs. without dieting. He's Irish, he was putting back a bottle and a half of whiskey a night. So I got to thinking about it, and I put it into perspective. I know liquid ounces and weight aren't interchangable, but I realized that if I drink a twelve pack of beer, I've consumed three pounds of beer.

Once I thought about it that way, I cut way back.

For a day.

I have lost about 20 lbs. recently, but that's because I've been so busy, I am constantly forgetting to eat. I live on beer and coffee. But, thanks to this new study, I don't feel so bad about that.

4 Comments:

At 11:23 AM , Blogger Plimco said...

Oh thank heavans I'm not the only one talking about my body today.

I like your diet plan. Beer and Coffee. My two favorite vices. I'll get right on that... After I finish this here cheeseburger...

 
At 7:41 AM , Blogger Exador said...

I'm in the exact same boat. I'll start drinking Saturday morning and easily drink a 12 pack by the end of the day.
Then I realize that I drank over 1200 sugary calories.
Bad bad Exador!
I've instituted a board-of-shame on the fridge. It's a write-on board that I mark a slash for every beer I drink.
I'm hoping it will slow me down.

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Newscoma said...

I heart beer and coffee.
That is all.

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger Plimco said...

You know what? After last night? I am fairly certain that I am this way with scotch. Most people would pass out after say 5, right?

Woo hoo! I am the scotch mastah!

Perhaps this is not something to boast of.

Perhaps it is because I am Scottish...

In any case, this information has to make me just a tad bit cooler than the I-can-drink-beers-all-day-and-not-get-drunk people.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home