Monday, May 15, 2006

Fame, I'm not gonna live forever!

For a while when I was working as a musician on Princess Cruise Lines, they decided to "hip" up their entertainment by bringing on celebrities. We once did two weeks backing up Gene Anthony Ray.

Who?

Exactly. He was the hip black guy in the cast of the TV show "Fame." He was about my age. That show was targeted at people younger than me. Ninety-eight percent of the people who cruise on Princess Cruise Lines are approaching 100. They didn't watch Fame. They had no idea who he was.

Part of his show included this line to segue into some big show-stopping power ballad, "You're probably sitting there, asking, 'what have you been doing the last ten years, Gene Anthony Ray?'"

I had to suppress a laugh at that line every show for two weeks.

He died in 2003 of AIDS.

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM , Blogger Sharon Collie said...

One of my favorite movie lines EVER came from Gene Anthony Ray..

When asked by Anne Meara why he was there he says:

"Cause I's young and single and loooooves to mingle."

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger Just Larry said...

That reminds me, I'm having a little party on June 3rd.

I'm really hoping you can come by Knuck. Bring CeeElCee (I can't remember how many E's).

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger Kat Coble said...

You know what's sad?


The minute you said "Gene Anthony Ray" I knew exactly who you were talking about.

I was so addicted to that show.

Drama geek. (Me, I mean.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home