Saturday, May 13, 2006

How I ended up in Texas

When I was senior in High School, at Ballard in Louisville, I had the daunting chore of carefully picking the institution of higher learning that I would attend. My criteria was that I wanted to go to a good school with a good music program in a major city in the South. I visited several schools, including Miami, which has a great music program. I had decided that I wanted to go to Miami.

I was in the band. Save your band camp jokes for later. I went to school one day early, which I never did, and I went to the band room, which I never did, and I was just hanging out there before school. The band director came in and said, "There is a representative from the Arts school at SMU in Dallas here today, he'll be meeting seniors at 9:30 if you are interested."

I only knew of SMU for their football program, which at the time, was in the top five in the country. But Dallas? How fucking cool was that. This was during the height of the TV show "Dallas" and the whole "Who shot JR?" excitement in the country. Dallas was the center of the universe. All that oil money. Dallas. But frankly, I had no interest in attending SMU.

More importantly, as far as the visit was concerned, 9:30 was second period. That was French class. I hadn't done my French homework. We were allowed 3 university rep visits as seniors without penalty for skipping class. I marched down to Mrs. Samuels room and informed her that I wouldn't be in French class that day, because I was going to talk to the rep from SMU, a school that I was "very interested" in attending.

I ended up going there. I went for three semesters. I transferred to North Texas, which, arguably, has the best music program in the nation. It is in Denton, which is 35 miles north of Dallas. I now have a Bachelor of Arts with a Music Major and an English Minor from North Texas.

So I spent 10 years in Texas. Because I went to school early on a day that I didn't do my French homework.

4 Comments:

At 8:25 AM , Blogger Newscoma said...

Life is Freaky. Just imagine if Oral Roberts University had been in that day.

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Nashville Knucklehead said...

Funny you say that. My parents had a policy that we could go wherever we wanted and they would pay for it, the school was our decision. Four years ahead of me, my sister announced that she wanted to go to Oral Roberts. My parents policy immediately changed to we could go almost anywhere we wanted, and they would pay for it.

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Plimco said...

Oooooooo...I once had a stalker that lived in Denton. I wonder if you knew him... He used to call me at 3:00 in the morning and I'd have to talk him out of killing himself. Such a pleasant thing to have to do at 3:00 in the morning... good times.

ps. I played alto saxophone in band.

 
At 11:00 AM , Blogger Kara said...

My dad went to Ballard! I haven't heard anyone say that name in a long time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home