Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sticking it to the Man

Chris writes at Metroblogging Nashville of the new smoking ban for restaurants and bars that is going into effect in Tennessee soon. Reminds me of my favorite smoking-ban-in-restaurants tale.

I was in New York City right at the time a new smoking ban went into effect. Being a tourist, I had no idea a new smoking ban had gone into effect, it's not like they announced it on the plane upon arrival. Also, being the kind of tourist that I am, I had a specific touristy goal, and that was to have a martini at the Oak Bar in the legendary Plaza hotel.

Some people prefer the Statue of Liberty or a somber moment of reflection at Ground Zero. I prefer the famous drinking establishments.

The Oak Bar at the Plaza hotel was the smokiest bar I had ever been to in my life, and I've been in plenty. Everyone in the place was lighting up. Turns out that the fine for allowing someone to smoke in your establishment had been set at $150. All the smokers in the Oak Bar contributed money into a large tip bucket on the bar, and the place just paid the fine everyday. I thought that was a fabulous case of sticking it to the Man.

Speaking of sticking it to the man, I also remember that two martinis at the Oak Bar came to $38.

4 Comments:

At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm. Martinis......


dear god I love gin.

 
At 5:38 PM , Blogger gavin richardson said...

excellent. being a non-smoker, but occasional cigar friend that is an excellent image.

 
At 6:30 PM , Blogger lcreekmo said...

I've never smoked anything, ever, but I think that's such a great idea that I would have been glad to contribute myself.

 
At 8:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, speaking of restaurants and Nashville 'n' stuff...is there still an Ireland's? I dream of their steak and biscuits...in the old restaurant down on 21st Avenue, with the murals of the Scopes Monkey Trial on the back wall. Can't for the life of me figure out how they got beef that tender and buttery. Ohhhhhhh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home